Wednesday 21 September 2016

Human being or Human doing?

Of the three statements above, which do you strive for?
Do you try to do your best, be your best or be the best?

What do you see as the difference?

I remember as a child being encouraged to do my best, and if I was ever disappointed with my performance I would be consoled with "well as long as you did your best".

In regards to being the best - that was certainly prized and rewarded.

But being my best - I don't think that was ever mentioned...which is weird when you think about it considering we're human beings not human doings.

I wonder how different our world would be if we were encouraged to be our best instead of doing our best - would it shift our focus and meaning away from what we do and instead have us valuing ourselves and each other more for who we truly are?

And lastly why are we striving to be the best? What does that even mean to be the best at something and who decides? There's also an element of disappointment attached to this as you will never be the best at anything forever so at some point you are going to fail.

Best, I think, to be your best you because no one else can ever do that better than you!

Wishing you health, harmony & happiness
Kylie

No comments:

Post a Comment